Tuesday 3 May 2011

Ickx secures Belgian Racing drive

Vanina Ickx, a 'guest' driver at Zolder for Belgian Racing, will drive one of the team's Ford GTs for the remainder of the season. She will share the car with Christoffer Nygaard.

The announcement comes after agreement between team owner Marc van der Straten and Olivier Baglione, the owner of the Lola Aston Martin Ickx will drive in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

"He (Baglione) and I share the same passion and we quickly decided that we should extend our collaboration. That's why Vanina Ickx will drive one of the two Ford GT of Belgian Racing during the FIA GT1 championship," van der Straten said.

Ickx is delighted with the news that she will compete for the remaining eight races of the GT1 series with Belgian Racing. "There seems no end to the stream of good news," Ickx said.

"Only a couple of weeks ago I was without a seat for this season. But since the weekend in Zolder, I could participate in the Le Mans 24 Hours and now I can drive the remainder of the FIA GT1 championship. I can never thank Marc van der Straten and Olivier Baglione enough for providing me with these extraordinary opportunities.

"I can hardly wait to start the Portuguese round," she added. "The FIA GT1 championship is of a high level. In Zolder, circumstances meant I was not able to drive a lot in the Ford GT, but enough to make me understand this car needs a very determined driver at the wheel.

"I was very impressed by the efficiency and diversity of the team. The team members have very different backgrounds, but they are able to communicate very well. I do not know Christoffer Nygaard personally, but I know he has a wealth of experience."

The other Ford GT of Belgian Racing will be driven by Antoine Leclerc and Martin Matzke.


Info: FIA GT1.com

No comments:

Post a Comment